Sunday, July 26, 2009

THE FIGMENT OF OUR IMAGINATION

Over the years, our imaginations are ruled by fictional characters and superstitious images of horrifying creatures. When I was a child, my parents would scare the hell of me of vampires or "aswang," ghost or "multo" or "moomoo," and other make-believe creatures so that I could eat my food, behave or go to sleep in time.
My spiritual adviser used to say that they are the works of evil. I always pray if I feel so afraid or if a rumor spread that there is a monster roaming around the streets of Metro Manila.
When I went to college, I was educated about this mythical creatures. They are part of the literary stories handed down from generations to generations. So much education lured me away from them. I was now more afraid of the living than the mythical creatures they blame when a series of unfortunate events happen.
But I seldom watch horror movies. I don't like the gory details or the blood spilling out from one's body. It makes me sick.
When I was in Grade 5, I was exposed to the very first vampire movie entitled "Fright Night." The vampire was considered a villain who drinks blood and can turn his victim into one of them. I evolved from being scared to reading vampire books like "Dracula," which narrates his power over centuries as ruler of the Transylvannian Kingdom. It was made into a movie starring Winona Ryder, Keannu Reeves and Gary Oldman as Dracula.
Brad Pitt became famous because he starred in a vampire film with Tom Cruise entitled "Interview with the Vampire," before he snatch the heart of Angelina Jolie. Although Louis became a vampire, he does not want to be a monster by feeding blood of rats. In the end he and Lestat had a falling out because he cannot stand the lifestyle of murdering innocent people to satisfy your thirst.
Fast forward to present. It's vampire phenomenon once again as Stephenie Meyer wrote a novel depicting a lovestory between the vampire and human. At first Edward Cullen tried to stay away from Bella Swan because her blood is like a heroin to him. But little did Edward know that his prey is falling in love with him. And for Bella, Edward was her knight-in-shining armor. Her angel. That's why people fell in love with Edward Cullen too.
I just finished reading Twilight. But now, I'm about to finish New Moon. Frankly, Robert Pattinson as Edward and Kristen Stewart as Bella are the perfect match for the role. I can't think of any celebrities that could give justice to the role. Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black was also an improvement from being a lanky boy in Twilight to a muscular shape-shifter in New Moon.
I can't wait for November 20. I just hope that I am forgiven if my thoughts are with Stephenie Meyer's characters.




















0 comments:

Post a Comment