Tuesday, February 2, 2010

ON MY WAY HOME

I am a professional commuter. I shuttle from house to office by means of public utility vehicles like FX and jeepney. Normally, I hitch with an officemate after office and he will drop me to Tandang Sora Avenue in Quezon City. From there, I will ride a jeepney to Sangandaan-Quirino Hi-way and another ride bound home. It is a routine after office, except when my ever reliable FX fetch me from the office or I decided to go enroute to Cubao.


This night is no different. From Sangandaan-Quirino Hi-way, I took the jeep bound to Novaliches on my way home. A woman in her early 40s or 50s rode the jeep at Talipapa and sat beside me. I was already asleep that I did not notice her paying the jeepney driver. Since I am not aware of the situation, I cannot truly say if she paid P5.00 or P10.00. What woke me from my mini-slumber was the argument between the woman and the jeepney driver. The driver claimed that she only paid him P5.00. He even dropped the coin in front of the woman. But the woman insisted that she paid P10.00 and she demanded a change.


The driver, upon reaching Mindanao Avenue stopped and demanded that the woman should go and transfer to another jeep. But she did not do it. She kept on talking that the driver will do anything to earn money. Then, she even brought out an incident where she was able to return a cellphone to its owner. And she proudly said that the cellphone costs more than P10,000.00



But before I went down, I began to be turned off with the driver. An old woman paid for the transpo fare applying the Senior Citizen discount for her and the husband. Both are already in their middle-aged years, maybe 60-70. Suddenly, the driver told them that the fare is P13.00 per head not P12.00. The old woman argued with the jeepney driver, again. But the driver insisted that discount for senior citizen is only P2.00. The woman beside made a snide remark against the driver.



The argument did not last because the old woman and her husband already went down. And it was also my destination so I hurriedly went out of the jeep. It's so funny how one can find ways to earn instant money. But definitely, I won't ride the jeepney if the driver cheats...

3 comments:

  1. some drivers have their own rules of faring a customer,not following the standard fares, i've experienced this kind of situations before coz im a commuter too..they cheat just for P1-2..how pathetic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing it did not happen to you.

    There are a lot of shady (and desperate) characters out there in the streets, willing to injure or kill people for a few bucks.

    You should be extra careful when commuting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. Drivers nowadays do cheat, but if this should happen we should take note of the plate number, date and time of the incident and report it to LTO or LTFRB so he can be punished. Of course, we should akso pray for safety. Prayer works.

    ReplyDelete