Sunday, July 12, 2009

AN ENCOUNTER WITH AN EPILEPTIC STRANGER

I made a trip to a mall in Pasig one weekend for some errands. While my mom and I were walking along the basement, we noticed a group of people gathering around a teenager. He was lying on the pavement surrounded by guards, janitor and curious strangers. A lady was rubbing his arms and holding his head so that it won't hit the floor.
My mom and I accompanied with our curiosity went to the crowd. We notice that saliva was dripping from his mouth. Then the lady holding him told my mom that he was epileptic. Honestly speaking, it was the first time I witnessed an epileptic. But my mom instructed the lady to remove his shoes and rub his feet. They even looked for a spoon to stick in his mouth as a precautionary measure.
I made my own research on epilepsy.

Honestly speaking, I was scared when I saw the teenager lying on the pavement. His companions were desperate and helpless. Most of the people just pass them by. The guard and janitors were only watching. They did not even called a doctor or nurse to give first aid. The person regained his consciousness and he doesn't want to be looked at. My mom assisted the lady in giving a first aid by massaging soles of his feet. I felt proud because we were able to help a stranger...even if I only watched from a distance because I have to admit, I'm not really knowledgable in dealing with epileptic people.

Here are some tips on how to deal with an epileptic person. Most importantly, remember to have A CLEAR MIND and LOTS OF COMMON SENSE. What to do when you encounter an epileptic person: (source: http://www.epilepsy.com/)

After the seizure the person should be placed on his/her left side because there might be a risk of post-seizure vomitting before he/she is fully alert. Person's head should be turned so any vomit will drain out of the mouth without being inhaled. Stay with the person for 5-20 minutes until he/she recovers. (source: http://www.epilepsy.com/)

2 comments:

  1. hi irish! this is one informative post. i haven't experienced seeing someone get attacked by epilepsy up close, but i bet it really is scary. this to-do list will really help people in dealing with/handling epilepsy.

    thanks for linking me up on here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...it was quite an experience. It's a good thing my mom knows how to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete