Friday, June 19, 2009

From Diaries to Blogging

Hello blogger! Long time no visit. It's been a year since my registration. But attempts to blog remains a problem. What will I write? What will I blog? Who will read my blog? Will someone read my blog? Will I attract readers?





Blogging is nothing new to me. I have an existing friendster blog, but I failed to update it because I have nothing to blog about. My efforts was put into waste because I was never satisfied with the finished product.





I've been visiting a couple of blogs and envious at those people who were able to come up with interesting blogs. It's just my insecurities creeping into me. Or maybe I was thinking that my blog will never be good enough to attract readers...so I stopped myself from creating a blog...




Until today, when I visited some blogs (again), I was inspired to write anything or everything. I want my opinions be heard...thru this simple blog. I can start from a few paragraphs or create a daily journal of my life for the world to see.




Blogging is a reflection of the change of times.




Before, there was the diary. My parents gave me a Hello Kitty diary with key and lock as a graduation gift. I try to write down whatever moments or experiences that I cherish. I attempted to write a story after reading a Sweet Dreams or Sweet Valley High romance novel...just for fun.



Time came when I was loaded with assignments and other activities, and I fail to update my diary. I kept it inside a box together with other memorabilias of my high school years.




After the diary, comes the journal. In high school, my Filipino and English teacher required us to submit a reflection journal. Aside from enhancing our writing skills, it serves a venue to express our opinions, viewpoints, feelings, memories or any other significant human experiences that we want to capture in an instant.




I kept a journal until the time dad passed away. After that, I never wrote an entry again. I was consumed with pain and agony. I started surfing the net...making friends thru messageboards, hiding in an anonymous identity, unknown, except a few people who share the same interest that I have.




There was friendster and facebook. It is a social network where you can search for your long-lost friends. I never took time to actively participate in such because I was busy with pinoyexchange and ezboard where I was able to gain friends abroad, even in anonymity.





Three years after dad's passing I was diagnosed with stage 1a cancer. I was underwent majoy surgery and took a leave from work for 2 months. With nothing to do but surf the internet, I revisited my friendster account and became an active participant. Old friendships were rekindled and most importantly, I was able to blog.




I also activated my facebook account since my high school friends are into that application. I found out that it is also user-friendly with a wide variety of applications to choose from. From then on, I was able to gain friends around the globe, thanks to the games that facebook sponsors.




And now, I'm blogging. This is the tekkie way to write a significant human experience. This is a powerful tool in self-expression because we can attract readers and they can voice out their opinions by leaving some comments.



I think I should be an active participant in blogging. I have nothing to lose but definitely, more to gain. To my blogger, give me a nice welcome hug!













2 comments:

  1. hi iris. kakatuwa naman: alam mo ba na i used to sig my name with "ice-cream & chocolates"? totoo!!! ito yung mga panahon na grade 4-5 ata ko at super ang crush kay ricky martin ng menudo mwahaha ;-p sinulatan ko pa siya and signed my name with "ice-cream & chocolates" hihi.

    alam mo, am really glad you've decided to write again. sige lang, let it flow. it doesn't have to be deep or long or 'intelligent' ;-p pinakamahalaga you're expressing yourself. don't think first of other stuff like readership, searchability, etc. you're doing this for yourself, first and foremost. before you know it, marami-rami ka nang naisulat at magdanda lagi pakiramdam when you read back what you've written. just try to write short, simple, i-type mo lang. don't think too much otherwise you'll find yourself putting it off for the next time. ganyan ako kaya i really need to discipline myself - or maybe just make it a habit -- na kapag i want to blog, sige lang. if there's something more serious i need to analyse, then i give myself more time. try mo to post at least once a week. and it doesn't have to be just text. can be images and just short captions. basta keep yourself busy with blogging. sabi mo nga, iton'g diary mo iba nga lang ang form. once you've written an article, i-announce mo lang.
    pag marami ka nang posts, don't forget to back-up ;-)
    next time, share mo cokie recipe mo hehe ;-)
    padayon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure...i'll ask my mom and sister regarding the cookie recipes. anyway, thanks for the advice. parang therapy na rin sa akin ito.

    ReplyDelete